Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Part I. Where In Manila?

It was my first semester during my first year in UP, I was lucky enough to get Art Stud 2 (Art Around Us: Exploring Everyday Life)  as one of my arts and humanities subject. Some of the topics that we have tackled were about artists, art works, art styles, etc. But one of my favorite parts about this subject is the Manila tour, wherein we are required to go to different places in Manila including historical places, shopping malls, museums, and park. The goal is to see that art is everywhere, we see it wherever we go.

Our first stop was none other than Intramuros also known as the 'Walled City' and considered as one of the most historical places in the Philippines. I was able to pass by my old school which is Lyceum of the Philippines University that was founded by one of the past presidents Mr. Jose P. Laurel. LPU is not just the school that can be found inside the walls of Intramuros. Colegio de San Juan de Letran, Mapua Insitute of Technology, and Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila are also situated in Intramuros.

What's also fun back then when I was still studying at LPU was to pass by Puerta del Parian  a shortcut for me which is one of the easiest way at that time to reach LPU. You will feel relaxed while walking inside due to the ambiance of the place.


Since one of the goals of the Spaniards was to spread Catholicism they had built two churches in Intramuros. First is the San Agustin Church which is the oldest church in the Philippines and considered by the government and UNESCO as a historical landmark. Second is the Manila Cathedral which serves as a see of the Archbishop of Manila. It's nice to know that these two churches are being restored once they face damages due to disasters such as earthquake.

There are two things you must not miss when you go to Intramuros. First is to visit Fort Santiago which is one of the most important attractions of Intramuros because back then it serve as a defensive fortress to protect the Manila. Second thing you must not miss would be to tour the whole Intramuros while riding a Kalesa, what's good about the Kalesa is that some kutsero also serve as a tour guide.

Sad thing is I was not able to visit Fort Santiago because it has entrance fee while the Kalesa also has a fee and it's more fun to ride in it when you are with your family or friends. Maybe next time when I have the time and budget I could certainly try these two and revisit those other attractions where I have been.

Source:
www.artesdelasfilipinas.com
www.viator.com

No comments:

Post a Comment