Thursday, December 4, 2014

Commute + Google Map = Adventure to a Pottery Haven

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
— T.S Eliot

I do pottery. I love it. It's very relaxing; it takes me to another planet.

-Eva Herzigova


Honestly, the idea of pottery does not really catch my attention. Even though I’m quite aware on the important role that pottery played in our history as well as understanding history, it never really caught my interest to the point that I would ever think about going to a place where pottery is still a practiced lifestyle – not until our archaeology class.

We were in the midst of our discussion on some artefacts found in some notable archaeological sites and we were actually watching a video on how pottery is done, when our professor suddenly came up with the idea of visiting an actual place where they do pottery. Well this kind of lit up the mood of the class, or at least my interest. I was like, finally! I found an excuse to try to visit this kind of place which I never really thought of visiting without the presence of other reasons to do it. And in just a 20-minute of clarification and guidelines, our class finally had an agreement, and that is to visit any pottery place and then write a paper about it.

The rest of the discussion passed by without me noticing because I kept on thinking where would I go? Whom would I go with? What would I write about? And all other things I could think about. Then when our professor finally dismissed the class, me and my classmates immediately gathered and agreed to go the next day to this pottery place that one of classmate knows. It is somewhere in Tiaong, Quezon, and even though we don’t really know how to go there and nobody in our group has a car, we then accepted the challenge on commuting and using google map as our only guide.

The next day, our group met in JAC Liner in Cubao. We asked some of the bus liner staff on what bus to ride going to Tiaong, Quezon. After a little talk, we finally rode a bus (that I forgot what the sign says) and went off – and the adventure begins!




The whole bus ride was fun. Because we did not really know the way, we are kind of obligated to look on where we are going to get familiarized with the routes that we are taking. Despite the fact that that was a 4-hour ride, nobody from our group seemed bored. Everyone was having fun pointing out places that interests us as we pass by and trying to figure out if we are still on the right track or if we have ridden a wrong bus and will totally end up in a wrong destination (Which I honestly kind of wishing for. Who would not want an unexpected change of plan? That would be a whole new adventure!)

But thanks to our honest and intelligent bus conductor, we ended up in the place where we wanted to be. We finally reached, Ugu Bigyan Pottery House, but I would prefer to it call it a pottery haven, because it is a haven for real!

I was in awe when we entered the gates of the pottery house. The architectural design, ambiance and the feels of the place really kept my mouth open. We were like, ooh! Wow! Grabe sobrang ganda! and all the shiz that you can think about.




The zen vibes of the place suits perfectly with its nature as a pottery house. It was really nice to see people actually doing and molding pots using the pottery wheel. And the fun part of this is that we get to have a chance to actually try to do pots using these pottery wheels. I didn’t care if I was to get down and dirty, it was fun!




We spent the rest of the morning until early afternoon looking around the place, sitting and chatting with the staff and eyeing some of their finished products. Man they were awesome! That’s why it’s no wonder that their products are being exported to different Asian countries. Isn’t it cool? We had the chance to visit a pottery that produces world class products!

















All that I can just say about our trip that day was that it was really fun and awesome. This day really proved me that it is not bad and scary to try new things or go to places you really do not know how to get to. It’ll certainly give you a hell-of-an-adventure, because it gave me one for sure – and that I will never ever forget. 








All photos from Arielle Castillejos.


No comments:

Post a Comment